top of page


Frome Town secured promotion in style as they defeated Bristol Manor Farm in the Southern League Division One South play-off final.

A fist half Sam Teale header and a second half Kane Simpson brace were enough to ensure that The Robins would be chanting ‘The Only Way Is Up’ after the game, whilst earning some hard earned silverware.

The character, resilience and determination from the team were once again on display as despite suffering an early set back, they battled through, losing no belief along the way, ensuring they will play step three football for the first time since the 2018/2019 season.

It was only nine days ago we hosted Bristol Manor Farm in the league and they pushed us all the way, with two late goals salvaging us a point, that game is proof they are no pushovers and with the stakes of this game being even higher than the ones previously it and the play-off hoodoo's lurking, absoltely anything was on the cards for today

Heading into the game, ticket sales were flying, 2,235 of you crammed into Badgers Hill today, that’s the biggest attendance since 1969, and each and everyone of you got to witness a piece of history in the making.

Play-off game’s are intense, thrilling and unpredictable but one thing that wasn’t a surprise was the starting XI that Danny Greaves named, just the one enforced change saw the suspended George Rigg replaced by Joe Budd, with Will Taylor filling the remaining bench slot.

As for the start of the game it couldn’t have gone much worse for the home team, The Farm were quick out the blocks and had the first shot of the game in the 3rd minute through Jayden Nielsen who saw his left footed effort well blocked.

However, The Robins paid the price for their slow start 11 minutes in, with Pierce Mitchell going down with what looked like a bad hamstring injury, it gave Nielsen the chance to sprint into acres of space before sending a low cross towards Ben Bament who had the simplest of tasks of tapping into an empty net.

Matt Wood then replaced the injured Mitchell despite coming on under a lot of pressure he dealt with it magnificently and didn’t put a foot wrong all game.

Throughout the season Frome encountered numerous hurdles and this was just another one to overcome, they showcased their unity and resilience expertly and slowly started to assert their dominance in the game, which started from the back 20 minutes in with Kyle Phillips spreading a stunning ball out to Sam Heal who’s cross was blocked out for a corner which would lead to the equaliser.

With Jon Davies and Rigg both unavailable, corner duties were left to Matt Smith and he certainly didn’t disappoint sending a peach of a delivery onto the head of Teale who buried it into the corner. to draw things level.

After that it was all Frome, and they nearly took the lead in the 31st minute after a Warren Maidment long throw found it’s way back to him, he sent a cross towards the back-post which Simpson controlled superbly but could only send his volley high and wide.

The remainder of the half was scrappy, with plenty of fouls committed, Budd went into the book 33 minutes in for a light challenge before Aron Robbins received the same punishment two minutes later after wiping James Ollis out 22 yards from goal.

Sam Heal’s free-kick wasn’t great, but it almost caught Sethan Locke out who managed to regather the ball on his third attempt.

Manor Farm had a free-kick of their own from shooting distance on the stroke of half-time, the effort from Nielsen made it’s way through a group of bodies, but Kyle Phillips managed to collect in what looked to be a challenging scenario.

The second half started similarly to how the first ended as Manor Farm were awarded a free-kick from a good distance out, but Brain’s free-kick found the face of Ollis who blocked well, but had to take a few seconds to recover.

After that it was all the home side, they went close to going in-front 57 minutes in when Matt Smith was taken out, the referee played a good advantage as the ball fell to Simpson who struck an effort that hit the outside of the post.

The onslaught continued with Simpson at the fore-front of it again two minutes later as he clipped a cross towards Ollis at the back-post, but he couldn’t quite keep his effort below the crossbar.

During this period of the game Frome were so dominant it did just feel like something was going to finally give and thats when 65 minutes in, Teale was tripped in the box and The Robins were awarded a penalty.

Unfortunately Zak Drew’s penalty was well saved by Locke, but the disappointment wouldn’t last long, as the second corner won via the penalty led to a scramble in the box before it fell to Simpson who smashed home sending the home fans in to raptures.

And it wouldn’t be long before he got his brace after a mix up at the back, Simpson who was a handful for the Manor Farm defence all second half got in after a miss communication at the back and slotted home to all but secure Frome’s return to step three.

Credit to Bristol Manor Farm they didn’t give up until the final whistle and had a few good opportunities to pull a goal back, with the first falling to Jamie Adams in the 85th minute, he received the ball down the right but his near post effort was beaten away by Phillips.

Bament then had a huge chance to pull a goal back in the 90th minute to put some real pressure on Frome as the ball rolled into his path inside the box, he snatched at his effort sending it high over the bar.

They kept on going and it was Nielsen’s turn to go close a minute later, he found himself in space down the left, and despite Phillips having little to do he was alert at all times and rushed out to spread himself before making a fine stop.

Referee Adam Merchant then sounded his whistle which led to the start of wild celebrations amongst the home fans, which continued for hours into the clubhouse with fans and players drinking the clubhouse dry.

The win confirms Frome’s promotion and they will be travelling to the likes of Taunton Town, Havant & Waterlooville and Merthyr Town next season, in what promises to be a special campaign.

Credit has to go to all of the coaches, players, staff members and volunteers who put hours of work in each day and finally the hark-work has paid off.

But it also wouldn’t have been possible without the backing of the fans from the first kick of a ball to the last, thank you for all the support this season.

We hope next season will be as exciting as this one, but for now it’s time to celebrate.

Match report and live updates by Harrison Richards

1,915 views4 comments

Recent Posts

See All


Gerry Urch
Gerry Urch

OK- the video is now on U Tube and is really good in quality - Perin Films - don't miss it and keep it on your favourites - who knows when we'll have an occasion like that again?

I also enclose the BMF match report.


MAY 7, 2024


Monday’s play-off final proved to be a match too far for The Farm as Frome’s set piece proficiency earned them promotion at a packed Badgers Hill, writes Jack Davies.

Over 2000 crammed into Badgers Hill and it was the raucous away contingent that were celebrating after just ten minutes. The first real move of quality from either side as Brain flicked round the…


Gerry Urch
Gerry Urch


It seems that The club's video recorder has gone to that great camcorder cemetery in the sky - it'll never see another edit - poor thing .


Sorry ,I should have remembered to put This on my original comments.

  1. There's an excellent video of our semi final game with Mousehole, by Mousehole FC, on U Tube.

  2. ) Perrin Films, were videoing the Manor Farm game and that'll be on U tube very shortly - The Cribbs v Bristol Manor Farm ( semi final ) is already on there.


Amazing effort, thoroughly deserved and best of luck for next season! A step closer to the EFL!


Gerry Urch
Gerry Urch

A week ago we faced two daunting play-off games against two excellent and in form teams, both were a real threat to the ruination of our season.

After a worrying run of 3 to four games, where we were nowhere near our best and found ourselves 1-0 down at Larkhall, we finally got our mojo back in that second half, overpowering the home side to get level and we were unfortunate not to win it, but importantly our best form had returned.

An excellent draw at eventual champions Wimborne was followed by another, in an unusually error ridden performance against the Farmy Army. We weren’t great hat day but nor were we willing to give up the ghost, coming back…

bottom of page