top of page


Frome Town were held to a goal less draw against Willand Rovers after a battling affair at the Silver Street Stadium.


And there were plenty of doubt with snow around the area that the game would be called off, but a pitch inspection at 10am passed the check, allowing both teams to take to the field and fight for the three points.

However, there were few chances in the game for both sides, with defences coming out on top, and despite the pitch being playable, the state of it definitely didn’t help either team, as both sides struggled to get in to their groove throughout the 90 minutes.


There was one change to the side that beat Tavistock this time last week, with Joe Budd coming in to the side, replacing Alex Monks who was unavailable.


Frome did start the game as the better team, winning a corner in the third minute which was comfortably cleared, and it soon became apparent with the heaviness of the pitch, that it would be hard for either team to gain real control through the match.


Action was limited during the rest of the half, the home side did knock the ball across the line in the 24thminute, although a foul was awarded prior, when Kyle Phillips was fouled while punching a cross away.


Ross Staley, who came on for the injured Sam Heal in the 31st minute, had The Robins only real shot in the first half in the 44th minute, after a set-piece was cleared, he met it sweetly on the edge of the box, but sent his effort well over the bar, with half-time lingering.


It would have been a frustrating half for both managers, not much could be done due to the condition of play, and it seemed like it would take a bit of luck or an unbelievable strike to break the deadlock.


The start of the second-half was better from Frome, early on in the 48th minute a Staley corner was glanced wide by James Ollis, before the latter nearly found himself in behind 6 minutes later, before laying the ball back to Zak Drew, who’s effort was deflected out for a corner.


A few Willand changes, helped them back in to the game, without creating a whole lot, and the closest either side came from there on, was a 40 yard+ effort from Jon Davies in the 78th minute, surprising keeper George Burton with a effort from near the half-way line, which unfortunately crashed off of the bar – what could have been.


The away side huffed and puffed for the rest of the game, Phillips made his first save in the 91st minute, parrying an effort from distance, before scooping up the seconds.


And for Frome fan’s in the stadium, they probably got severe déjà vu from Westbury when they were awarded a free-kick in the 95th minute, this time unfortunately, Davies' effort crashed in to the wall and the referee swiftly bought proceedings to an end.  

Despite the frustrations during the game, Willand do boast one of the best home records in the league, having lost just once there all season, so it’s a point gained, and time to turn focus to another tough away game against Bideford next Saturday.


Match report and live updates by Harrison Richards


298 views1 comment

Recent Posts

See All

1 Comment

This was the second worse game that I’ve seen this season, the other being the opening game of the season against Cribbs- also 0-0!

We improved marginally in the second half and Jono (The Wizard) produced one of his finest moments of the season, when completely out of nowhere, he decides to chip the keeper from 40 yards – it’s almost perfection but bounces back off the crossbar with the keeper completely beaten. Aside from that, Durocel Drew had a chance from an angle but failed to seriously test the keeper and should have done better. We were very solid at the back, with our 3 centre backs all having fine games and Phillips never had a serious save to…

bottom of page