top of page

Malvern Town 1 - 3 Frome Town

Updated: Nov 6, 2023

A first ever meeting between Malvern Town and Frome Town saw the away side leave with all three points.

It was a rainy setting at the Langland Stadium with the Robins coming into the game in good form having lost just two league games this season, whilst Malvern have struggled, with just 10 points from 12 games.

However, injury problems and absences at Frome left some question marks over how the team would perform, especially in attack with James Ollis and the suspended Kane Simpson both missing.

But that was not an issue as striker Sam Meakes stepped up and put in a fantastic performance.

He pressed the defence from the first minute and got his first chance in the thirteenth minute when he was played in with a great through-ball but the keeper was alert and came out to close the angle down and make a solid stop.

Meakes would be rewarded for his efforts just eight minutes later, when he showed fantastic composure to take the ball around the keeper and slot it into an empty net.

The Somerset sidedominated the game after the opening goal and, just ten minutes later, they doubled their lead through captain Teale, who volleyed a rebound into the back of the net after Meakes caused a sharp stop from the keeper from a corner.

The rest of the half tapered out with the only shout coming from Malvern who believed they should have been awarded a penalty just before half-time after an alleged handball.

Half-time eventually arrived and Frome’s performance would have satisfied manager Danny Greaves and wanting the same level from his squad in the second-half.

The Hillsiders came out from the break and looked the better side. A fantastic block from Pierce Mitchell denied what would have been a certain goal in the 51st minute.

Despite the pressure Malvern put on Frome, a costly mistake from goalkeeper Burford ruined all of the Worcestershire side’s hard work, with Meakes proving to be a handful once more, stealing the ball off the keeper and for the second time slotted into an empty net.

The rest of the match saw a professional performance from the Frome, their only disappointment coming in the 92nd minute when a clean sheet was lost after Alex Bell scored a rebound after Phillips made a smart save.

The full-time whistle blew shortly and was met by jubilation from the travelling Frome support, as the players went over and celebrated with the fans.

Next weekend sees a huge game against the current league leaders, Willand Rovers. Frome will look to continue their good form in what promises to be a massive game at the top of the table.

Match report and live updates by Harrison Richards.


Don't miss out on top-of-the-table clashes, derbies and FA Trophy ties! Tickets for our upcoming league fixtures are available to buy at the links below:

292 views1 comment

Recent Posts

See All

1 Comment

Gerry Urch
Gerry Urch
Nov 05, 2023

Very pleased for Meaksie. He's done well as a sub and deserved his chance - it may well be an extended one? Also, nice to see Monksie back - I think we've missed him. at times and his experience in the middle is a vital cog in the side. We are now sitting pretty with games in hand.

Many congratulations to Ramsgate who had a magnificent victory against a team ( Woking) three tiers higher than them. Worthing lost 2-0 , so both results augers well for our chances of an upset?

A great week coming up, with potentially three large gates at 'The Hill. and maybe in excess of 2,000 fans coming through the turnstiles. This is very demand…

bottom of page