top of page

Tiverton 3-1 Frome

Frome’s first away game of the 2018 season was sure to be a tough one at relatively near neighbours Tiverton Town and so it turned out with the hosts claiming a 3-1 victory at the end of the night. The game itself was most entertaining and Frome can take a lot of positives from their performance.

A bright start

The pitch was far from perfect, much like everybody else’s after the dry summer but Frome started brightly, pressing from the off and had a dream start when a pass found Kane Simpson just beyond the half way line. He turned the defender and drove into the area, firing low into the bottom corner to give the ‘keeper no chance and Frome the lead after just 2 minutes.

As you would expect the home side immediately began to apply pressure looking for an equaliser and Alex Monks picked up an early card for a heavy challenge in midfield. They created a chance from the free kick and Daren Bechet made an excellent save low at his far post. Tiverton were having the better of it at this stage without any clear chances until the 20th minute when Bechet was called on again after a quick break from half way when Frome were caught in possession. Shortly afterwards the usually reliable Levi Landricome created a chance but shot well wide.

Chances missed

Frome settled back into the game and started to play some good football with the Tiverton keeper making smart saves from Simpson who also had a shot blocked before Conor McCormack was called on to clear an effort of the line at the other end. Matt Morris worked hard to create himself some space on the right and put in a great cross to Demkiv who was free around the penalty spot but blazed it over the crossbar. Frome were back in the ascendancy and the home ‘keeper was kept busy but they failed to get the crucial finishing touch and the half ended with a low driven cross in front of the Tiverton goal that no-one could reach.

Frome were expecting a lot of pressure in the second half but nearly got off to a flying start again as Kriss Scott created some space for himself and released a shot which the keeper somehow managed to tip over for a corner when a goal looked certain. Bechet was then called on again as once more a quick break from half way left him in a 1v1 situation but again he made the crucial save – both goalkeepers were certainly proving their worth.

Tiverton comeback

The breakthrough for the hosts came with a bizarre, although well executed goal, inevitably scored by Levi Landricombe. He was standing 10 yards behind the last defenders where the home keeper found him with a huge goal kick, he controlled the ball and turned to see Bechet off his line and execute a perfect lob to equalise in the 55th minute. Tiverton continued to pressurise but both sides had chances with several blocked shots and penalty area scrambles taking place.

The defining second goal for Tiverton came in the 81st minute when a loose pass in midfield went straight to the opposition who counter attacked quickly and the final shot which seemed destined to go well wide deflected off the heel of Harry Evans and rolled into the net. Just a couple of minutes later a super cross from the left met the head of Jordan Rogers in the area who gave the goalkeeper no chance and took the score to 3-1. Minutes after that another Rogers strike from range crashed off the top of the post and was cleared away. Frome continued to search for a goal but Tiverton saw the last few minutes out comfortably to take the 3 points they probably deserved on the day.

On a different day this game could have ended 5-5, both goalkeepers made crucial saves, and both sides missed several goal scoring opportunities but Frome played some decent football and as they establish themselves in this league and get used to each other there is a lot to look forward to

156 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page