top of page

Report: SWindon SM 1-1p Frome

Last night saw us move onto the quarter finals of the League Challenge cup with a win away against Swindon Supermarine. Swindon flying high in the Prem at the moment rung some changes, but presented a strong and difficult challenge for the Robins.

After a blip in the this seasons fantastic form, the Robins were keen to refind their impressive form and this was a great challenge against another side full of confidence.

Frome lined up with familar faces but with the chance for Alex Hallett to get another start after his early season good form. Mark Cooper returned from suspension to regain his right back slot. In goal we were delighted to Harry Thomas-Barker on a youth loan from Bristol Rovers.

The match began at a good pace, with both defences leading the way as many great passing moves from both sides were snuffed out by some fine defending. The only incident to go into the referees book was a yellow card for Cottle. The Marines thought they had taken the lead in the 44th minute, for the goal to be chalked off for offside.

The second half saw Swindon try to press home their early advantage, but our defence held strong. But on 56 minutes we came close to taking the lead when the ball fizzed across the goal for the keeper to make a fine save.

Even as the final changes were made from each side, the game always felt there was a goal in it and it came in unfortunate circumstances as Thomas-Barker miskicked a goal kick and Fleetwood was there to lob the ball back over the keeper to make it 1-0.

The celebrations were short lived, as for the kick-off as we went straight down into the Swindon box, where a penalty was awarded. Cottle dispatched the penalty to make it 1-1. Then in the 89th minute the ball fell to Mannings who fired the ball over and the match headed to penalties.

The penalties were enthralling as Swindon went 2-1 up after 2 penalties each. To see that bought back to 2-2, 3-3, 4-4, 5-5, Then came the misses both teams skied penalties, before the Marines smashed one off the bar and away. Up stepped Sam Teale to bury the winning penalty to put us through to the next round.

The next round will take place on Tuesday 21st of January at Badgers Hill vs Cirencester. This will mean our match vs Thatcham will be listed as TBC, until confirmation from the league on this fixture.


1.Harry Thomas-barker 2. Mark Cooper 4. Sam Teale 6. Chris Peck 7. Jon Davies 9. Kane Simpson 11. Matt Smith 14. Warren Maidment 16. Rex Mannings 18. Dan Cottle 19. Alex Hallet12. Toby Maguire 13. Seth Locke 8. Rob Hobbs 17. Alex Monks 20 Johnny Gorman

Goalscorer: Cottle 81'

Penalty scorers: Gorman, Mannings, Smith, Hobbs, Maguire, Teale

355 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page