top of page

Highworth Town 1-0 Frome

Updated: Nov 21, 2021

Frome’s unbeaten start to the league season came to an end with a defeat at Highworth Town on Saturday afternoon.

A spectacular first-half goal from the home side was backed up by a disciplined defensive performance that saw goalkeeper Connor Johns keep the Robins at bay on several occasions.

After seeing out some early pressure that included James Carey making a wonderful save to deny Highworth forward Callum Parsons, Frome fell behind midway through the first half in spectacular fashion.

A quickly taken free-kick allowed Ashley Edenborough to get in behind the Frome defence, his first touch flicked the ball up into the air, and with his second he acrobatically lofted a shot over Carey and into the goal.

Falling behind seemed to wake Danny Greaves’ side from their early slumber, Jon Davies tested home ‘keeper Johns minutes after the opening goal and captain Sam Teale was denied a quality equaliser by an offside flag.

Frome really found their rhythm with half-time approaching. The first flowing passing move of the afternoon saw Davies set up Matt Smith inside the box, but Johns was on hand again to keep the Highworth lead intact.

Even though Johns had been in fine form between the sticks, Highworth had been organised and disciplined when defending and were causing problems on the counter-attack.

The Robins set up camp in the opposition half for much of the second half but were unable to find a way past Highworth and their in-form goalkeeper.

Davies was denied again when a curling shot from the edge of the box was tipped over the crossbar, and the home team offered few chances to threaten from close-range.

Kane Simpson headed a perfectly-weighted Joe O’Loughlin cross inches wide of goal with just under 20 minutes remaining, and with the final whistle approaching Highworth closed ranks and threw bodies on the line.

James Ollis’ introduction from the substitutes’ bench provided some much-needed energy for the visitors but they could not beat Johns, meaning the three points remained in Wiltshire.

Frome are back in action on Tuesday night as they make the long trip to Bideford for another league encounter.

225 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page