top of page


Frome Town put a stamp on their title challenge as they cruised past play-off contenders Bideford in front of a bumper crowd of 615 at Badgers Hill.

Four goals in the first-half including a brace from captain Sam Teale and a goal apiece for Kane Simpson and James Ollis, ensured the BA11 side won the battle of the Robins for the second week running.

Danny Greaves made one change to the side that beat Evesham this time last week, with Matt Wood replacing the injured Pierce Mitchell, he came in with Teale and Warren Maidment either side of him, with all three putting in exceptional shifts making the rest of the teams jobs a whole lot easier.

The home side started on the front foot, with the majority of play being contested in Bideford’s half, they were nearly rewarded in the 16th minute after Simpson chased down Ollis’ flick-on, he pulled back to Joe Budd on the edge of the box, but his effort was well blocked.

Frome’s early pressure was then rewarded just two minutes later, through skipper Teale, who powerfully headed Jon Davies pin point corner into the top corner.

It could have easily been two in the 25th minute, after Davies out muscled his man, he slipped Zak Drew through, who was denied one-on-one by Adam Seedhouse Evans who got off his line quickly, to close the angle down.

That didn’t matter though as Teale doubled Frome’s lead just three minutes later, after good work from Drew on the edge of the box, it fell into Teale’s path perfectly, running onto the ball he fired a first time effort into the top left hand corner.

Kane Simpson then added a third in the 38th minute, continuing his rich goalscoring form, after creating a yard of space for himself, he smashed an effort into the side netting past the out stretched Seedhouse Evans from some 20 yards out.

Frome were denied fourth just five minutes later, after Alex Monks found Ollis with an outrageous over the top through ball, you’d have bet your house on him scoring but the keeper once again closed the angle down and denied him with his foot.

Ollis did make amends for that miss, in added time, he added a deserved fourth after he volleyed home Davies near post corner into the roof of the net, captivating a dazzling first-half display.

The second-half was more of the same, just without the goals, Danny Greaves didn’t want the performance to turn lethargic so he kept the intensity levels high, and naturally chances came.

The first came in the 51st minute, where Davies fed Monks through, who beat his man in the box with a few step overs, he unselfishly attempted to pull back for Simpson, but his cross was cut out at the last minute.

Three minutes later another big chances came and went, after Budd won the ball fairly in the middle of the park, he sent Davies through, but for the third time, the keeper came out on top in the one-on-one, Ollis was also unable to convert the rebound as he sent his effort over the bar.

Sam Meakes and Ross Staley were then introduced and the former nearly grabbed a goal of his own ten minutes after he came on.

Drew was played through and he sent it across the box to Meakes, if he hits it first time it’s probably a goal but his touch just gives the defender enough time to get back and intervene.

Meakes then turned provider and nearly linked up with fellow substitute Ross Staley, his header across the face of goal was just out of the reach of a flying Staley, which would have been a picturesque goal had he connected.

Frome managed the rest of the game expertly with Kyle Phillips only real save coming in the 92nd minute, denying Finn Roberts from a narrow angle.

The win puts Frome just one point off of lead leaders Wimborne who didn’t play today due to a late postponement, and with them inactive on Monday, it’s a chance for Frome to dethrone them for the time-being.

The Somerset Robins will have to overcome local rivals Melksham to do that however, they always prove to be a tough opponent and we’ll need as many fans there cheering the team on.

Match report and live updates by Harrison Richards


Secure your tickets for our next home game here!

501 views3 comments

Recent Posts

See All


Easter Weekend Part 1 – Job done!

The Robins from Somerset blew away the Robins from Devon with an utterly superb first half performance. Game over. The second half didn’t quite reach those heights but Frome should really have added more goals. We missed so many opportunities overall and without exaggeration, we could have scored 6, 7 or 8 today.

‘Tealie,’in his ‘golden years,’ gets more like Beckenbaeur every game and his two goals today were brilliant. His second, a rasping 20 odd yard drive, will be 30 yards next week and just inside the halfway line the week after – and he has scored them from there in the past!

 Kane & Ollie were great up front and they…

Replying to

Great result first half 4-0 bit of damp squid second half but kept clean sheet so defence played their part once again. Keep up good work for milkshake game. John irch

bottom of page