top of page

Evesham United 1-4 Frome

Updated: Dec 5, 2021

Frome overcame adverse weather conditions to secure a well-deserved win at Evesham United on Saturday afternoon.

A masterful display from Kane Simpson saw him score twice in the space of ten first-half miniutes before setting up two more goals for James Ollis either side of the interval.

The opening stages of the game were largely uneventful as a strong wind whipped around the Spiers and Hartwell Stadium.

Alex Hallett was on hand to block a goal-bound effort from the home side after a mix-up in the Robins’ defence, and Ollis rolled a shot just wide of the far post at the opposite end after being set up by Simpson, but it was only midway through the half that the game came to life.

Brilliant work from Rex Mannings down the left wing saw him beat his man and cross, the Evesham defence failed to clear and Simpson was on hand to slot home the loose ball in the 26th minute.

The lead lasted only a matter of moments though as after a long ball over the Robins’ backline was not dealt with, Callum Ebanks bore down on goal before placing a finish beyond James Carey.

The quick-fire goals at either end brought the game to life but it was Frome who found the next goal.

A perfectly-weighted pass from Jon Davies broke the home side’s offside trap, allowing Simpson to stride clear before rounding home goalkeeper Lewis Clayton and rolling the ball into the empty net.

Re-taking the lead allowed the Robins to exert greater control on the game, and after an inventive corner routine saw Matt Smith loop a wind-assisted volley onto the roof of Clayton’s net, Ollis earned himself a well-deserved goal.

A rapid attack gained momentum when Simpson lofted a pass into his strike partner’s direction, and Ollis took several touches to keep the ball out of the clutches of the last defender before angling an effort into the far corner of the goal.

A fast start to the second half saw Simpson pass up a good opportunity to secure his hat-trick, and the Robins largely kept their opponents at arms’ length as they looked to see out a first league win on the road since early November.

Simpson was not finished for the afternoon though, as with the final 10 minutes approaching he stole the ball from an Evesham defender, but rather than going for goal himself he squared for Ollis to tap home from close-range.

The win means that Frome maintain their six-point lead at the top of the Southern League Division One South table ahead of the festive period.

The Robins are back in action next Saturday when they welcome Willand to Badgers Hill in another league fixture.

232 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page