top of page

Cirencester town 1-1 Frome

Updated: Sep 12, 2021

Frome continued their unbeaten start to the season after a spirited second half performance secured a point against Cirencester Town at the Corinium Stadium.

A late own goal from Centurions’ goalkeeper Alex Harris earned a share of the spoils after Joshua Grace-Parsons had put the home side ahead on the stroke of half-time.

A testing first half played in windy conditions saw Cirencester dominate possession for long spells, only to be denied opportunities to score by some resolute Robins defending.

Grace-Parsons looped a header onto the roof of James Carey’s net minutes after Marcus Mapstone had been booked for hauling down Ben Whitehead as the forward charged towards goal.

Although shots on goal were few and far between for the Robins, a moment of brilliance from Jon Davies set up Joe O’Loughlin in the box via a touch from James Ollis, only for the wing-back to miss the target from inside the penalty area.

Frome looked to have survived until half-time on level terms only for Grace-Parsons to find space in the Robins’ box before composing himself and slotting a shot beyond Carey and into the net.

Despite falling behind just before the interval, Frome started the second half brightly, ensuring home goalkeeper Alex Harris was far busier than he had been in the opening stages.

First Rex Mannings curled an effort towards goal that was expertly turned behind for a corner, from which Matt Smith tested Harris again with a drive from the edge of the box.

It was not all one-way traffic though, and Frome were grateful to Carey for making two excellent saves to keep them in the game.

First he spread himself at his near post to keep out Grace-Parsons and then he dived to his right to palm away a curling effort from Levi Irving.

With time ticking away, an equaliser looked set to elude Danny Greaves’ side, but a moment of brilliance from James Ollis ensured Frome did not go home empty-handed.

The forward collected a long ball from Carey on the halfway line, beat two challenges and an attempt to bring him down before squaring the ball across goal, causing Harris to turn into his own net before a Frome player could get a touch.

More resolute defending in the final moments secured a valuable point, meaning the Robins remain undefeated five games into their league campaign.

Frome return to FA Cup action next weekend, hosting Oxford City in the Second Qualifying Round at Badgers Hill.

252 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page