top of page

Challenge 618: 553...complete

We move into 8th place in the all time league attendances overtaking a defeat to Chippenham Town back in 2017 under the lights on a Monday night. Colin Carpenter was able to provide the match report from when we last had 552 supporters in for a league game.

We are on track to beat our target of 618 attendees for Saturday, but help us by claiming your free tickets for the match.


Monday 17th April 2017

Evo-Stik Southern Premier League

Frome Town 0 Chippenham Town 1 Frome Scorers: None

Chippenham Scorers: Andrews (53) Crowd: 552

Star Man: George Miller

History will show that newly crowned league champions Chippenham Town won the match with a 53rd minute penalty won and converted by Jake Andrews, however only two top saves from Darren Chitty and the intervention of the crossbar denied Frome from getting at least a share of the points in this match.

Frome were again light on players, with Sam Teale missing due to a broken nose sustained against Dunstable, Ollie Knight and Darren Jefferies unavailable, and with Jon Davies only recovered enough to take his place on the bench but unlikely to play, Frome started with just one viable substitute in Ryan Bath.

On a cool day, the match started in front of a healthy Bank Holiday crowd of 552, with a healthy contingent from Chippenham swelling the numbers, but it was a bit slow to get going and the first chance arrived in the 10th minute as Chippenham’s Matt Jones blazed over the bar afteR latching onto a long kick from Darren Chitty.

As Frome settled to their task, they went close in the 15th as James Fitzgibbon cut in from the left and curled a perfect delivery onto the head of Mike Bryant only for Chitty to produce an excellent save to tip the ball over the bar for a corner that came to nothing.

Frome were generally having the better of things in the first half, playing neat triangles in midfield and having the better of possession, but they were struggling to open up clear cut opportunities and Chippenham always looked dangerous on the counter but were having trouble keeping the ball low enough to trouble Kyle Phillips when they shot from range.

Chitty was a little fortunate in the 33rd as he came out of his area to deal with a high through ball and as he was robbed by Kris Miller, it looked for a moment that Frome might get something but the ball just went out for a throw in and the danger passed.

After Kris Miller finished off a right wing move with a shot that flew past the far post, Frome had another good chance as Jake Jackson cut inside his man and almost chipped the ball over Chitty only for the ex Frome favourite to throw up a hand and tip the ball to safety.

With the score 0-0 at half time, Frome again went close at the start of the second half as a Chris Gregan throw was flicked on by Bryant and Jackson thumped a header against the crossbar and couldn’t quite find the composure to drive home the rebound which feel invitingly to him.

With Chippenham’s Chris Allen and Nuno Felix both hitting long range screamers that were wide of the target, they started to show why they are worthy champions and looked to be stepping up a gear, though they were a little fortunate to be awarded a penalty in the 53rd as Jake Andrews went to ground after a challenge from Chris Gregan that most observers felt was nothing more than a “coming together”. Andrews duly picked himself up and hit a perfect spot kick high into the corner that no goalkeeper on earth would have saved, not even Kyle Phillips who had saved his last two penalties.

With Kris MIller and Jordan Walker swapping positions, the match developed into a keenly fought, but never really exciting affair, with both sides competent in midfield but neither looking likely to break down their opposing defences, and although shots from Andrews and Jackson flew wide of their targets and a fizzing late cross from Fitzgibbon just failed to find a Frome head, the second goal of the match refused to come and the referee blew his whistle on exactly 90 minutes which is unusual.

Fittingly, Frome captain and stalwart George MIller was awarded his first H&B Tyres Man of the Match Award by joint ball sponsor Zippy in his 49th game of the season for the Club, and considering that he was expected to be missing the first half of the season due to an impending ankle operation, his performances this season have been remarkable. He was duly honoured again at the awards presentation after the match when he received the Frome Town Supporters Club Committee’s Player of the Year award and also the Manager’s Player of the Year award.


Help us beat the target of 618, claim your free ticket for Saturday.

135 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page